Dauphin Island, AL
Archive of Historical Data, Books, Maps
And Other Materials
A HISTORY OF DAUPHIN ISLAND
UNDER FIVE FLAGS
1699-1989 IN ADVERSITY WE THRIVE
compiled by Frances Young, Dauphin Island, AL
Written in 1988 - Updated in 2001
Hard copies of this book available at the Dauphin Island Foundation
This booklet is a collation of material that
I have collected over the twenty-one years that I have been a resident of
Dauphin Island. Be assured, there will be errors. At this time in history
very few people wrote. In checking records, we often find names spelled differently
or names have been changed entirely with immigrants taking on an "Americanized
Although many of our early settlers in the state of Alabama came in through
the Creek Indian Passport System (our U.S. passport system is fashioned after
this), Dauphin Island is most unique in that most of our early settlers came
in via port. Dauphin's earliest settlers were French followed by Spanish (Creole)
with the Greeks' Irish-Scotch arriving later. Many of the early names on the
island were Ladnier, Lamy, Raley, Sprinkle, Collier, Patronas, Mallon, Bosarge,
and Previtoe. If I have failed to mention some it is not intentional.
These early settlers survived fierce hurricanes and until 1954 only had access
to the mainland via boat."They depended upon each other and no one went without.
You see very few really old houses on the island due to the shortage of building
materials. Old structures of heart pine were torn down and wood was salvaged
to build new cabins.
The Penicaut Diary, translated by McWilliams, "Fluer de Lys and Calumet""Colonial
Mobile" by Peter Hamilton and the Mobile Public Library, were my most useful sources.
The local people were very helpful and my thanks to all of
In the year 1519, not long after Christopher Columbus discovered
the Americas, Alonzo Piheda mapped the entire Gulf Coast area west of
Florida. At that time the Spanish claimed the Florida region, but had
not established any permanent forts in that area to the west.
Legend tells us that perhaps Prince Madoc of Wales visited this area at
a much earlier time. We know that DeSoto's exploration took him through
the coastal region of Alabama in 1540. It might be possible to believe
that Isabella waited for him on Dauphin Island and planted the legendary
It was January 31, 1699, when the explorer Pierre Le Moyne and Sieur D'Iberville
dropped anchor off the southern tip of Alabama. France had laid claim
to this vast territory comprising three quarters of what is now the United
States, and named it Louisiana after their king.
Due to the fact that the two French ships Le Marin and La Renommee drew
so much water, the explorers set out in longboats to follow the mainland
in an east-west direction. Passing by what is now Bayou La Batre and Pointe-auxhuitres
(Cedar Point), they found this island. Coming upon a large pile of bones
(possibly sixty men or women), Iberville named the island "Massacre."
The island was described as being covered with pines and cedars and being
seven leagues long and one-fourth league wide. (A league in old nautical
measure was three miles.) This seems to confirm the fact that the island
lying to the west, Petit Bois, was at that time part of Massacre. The
shell banks on the north side of the island were very high and serpentine
in shape. These banks indicated that the island had been in use or inhabited
by an earlier civilization.
By 1701, the natural harbor on the south side of the island was in constant
use. Sand Island and Pelican Island formed a crescent shaped harbor, large
enough and deep enough to accomodate thirty vessels. It was here that
the ships were unloaded and their cargo put on shallow draft vessels to
go upstream. (Without dredging Mobile Bay was too shallow to permit the
larger boats access.)
The island began to grow. Warehouses were built on the east end of the
island. A small stockade soon developed. When the ship "Pelican" arrived
in 1704, with twenty six young ladies, they had no trouble finding husbands.
These young women, sent by the King of France, were known as the "Pelican
Girls" They were under the protection of a priest named Huve. Mobile Baptismal
records the first child was born on October 4, 1704. Mobile was called
the birthplace of the colony and Dauphine Island the cradle.
Although the name "Massacre" hung on for many years, the island was named
officially Isle Dauphine, in 1707. This was in honor of the wife of the
heir apparent to the throne of France. In that same year, three vessels
arrived at the roadstead bringing livestock and poultry. The savages that
visited the island were extremely friendly. D'Iberville presented them
with guns, trinkets and loin clothes to cover their nakedness.
By the time M. Vigne Voison arrived at Isle Dauphine in 1709, a number
of families had built homes on the cove facing Pelican Bay. Voison asked
Bienville for permission to build a fort. He constructed it with cannons
on top of the dunes, facing the entrance to protect the harbor. He also
constructed the first church at this time.
During the long war between England and France, in 1711, a pirate ship
from British Jamaica raided Dauphine. They destroyed everything in sight,
but no lives were lost.
M. de La Mothe de Cadillac came to Isle Dauphine on June 5, 1713 to serve
as Governor General of Louisiana. M. Durigouin was appointed Director
General and their expenses were paid by M. de Croisat, to whom His Majesty
had ceded the commerce of Louisiana. Cadillac built a large palisaded
home in the area of "Cadillac Square" Although Cadillac remained Governor
until March 9,1717, he did little to improve the territory. One thing
of note was the gathering of the twenty-four Indian tribes on the island
to smoke the peace pipe. This calumet of peace lasted more than two months.
During this time the King of France made a grant to a La Pointe for a
large cattle ranch and also granted permission to Jean Phillipe L'Adnier
to marry an Indian girl.
A hurricane of extreme intensity hit the island in 1717. The entrance
to the harbor was blocked and three ships trapped. Much of the livestock
was drowned. This damage to the port influenced the French to move the
capital - first to Pascagoula and then to New Orleans. Although a number
of families moved from the island after the storm, we find two more ships
arriving in 1718 with five hundred passengers.
War was declared with Spain in 1719. The French attacked Passacal (Pensacola,
Spanish Territory), and in return the Spanish attacked Dauphine. The French
were successful in rebuffing the attack.
With the move of the government to New Orleans, the island settled to
a comparative quiet period. You can picture the settlement in a clearing
on the south side of the island. Groups of houses are clustered facing
Pelican Bay on the east end. Further down to the west we see, high on
the dunes, the palisaded fort. About it are sundry one story buildings.
One with a fence around it is the powder house. (Perhaps these are buried
under the sixteenth and seventeenth tees at the golf course.) Cannon point
to the sea. The Bourg (town) has some eighteen houses. The commandant
house has a sentry box. There are two long houses for barracks and a guardhouse.
The church faces the sea.
In 1722 you could find that the island now joined Pelican and was cut
away from Petit Bois. Catholic records show a number of residents and
slaves. Some of the names mention Jean Arnauld, Renauld, J. Baudrau, a
creolem Alexandres, Paqurs, Ollivier.
Two of the earliest land grants were made in 1712 to Arnault and Donoit.
Madame Arnauld did deed some of her property to Major Farmer. There were
numerous grants made (luring this time. Strangely the island was still
referred to as Massacre in the Isle Dauphine. (Was Massacre the name of
What we now know as little Dauphin Island was called Isle 'a Guillori,
after the family that occupied the island in 1740. (People have lived
on Little Dauphin at various times even as late as the early 1900's. It
is now part of the Nature. Conservacy and is protected.)
Dauphin Island was occupied by the French until 1764, by the British from
1764 until 1781, by the Spanish from 1781 until 1813, when under orders
from President Madison, General Wilkerson took Mobile. This was during
the final battle of the War of 1812. In 1803, the United States had purchased
the Louisiana Territory from France in 1803, for $75,000. So in truth,
during the Spanish occupation the island by rights belonged to the United
There were many land grants made during foreign occupation. One of note
was made by Joseph Moro to the Spanish Governor on July 1, 1781. When
the British Governor left the island he tried to sell it for five thousand
dollars, but had no purchasers. At any event on December 5, 1783, a spanish
grant was recorded to Joseph Moro. At his death he willed this to his
niece, Euphrosie L'May. A patent from the United States to Augustine LaCoste,
her son, dated May 22, 1838, covered 2264.12 acres of Dauphin Island.
Later portions of this were sold to Garrow, Brown, Lyon and others.
Construction was begun on Fort Gaines in 1821, but it was not completed
until 1848. The purpose of the fort was to guard the entrance to Mobile
Bay.. The Military Reservation ran all the way to what is now Cadillac
Square and the main road on the island was Fort Gaines 'I'rail. Outside
the fort several buildings were built to house officers.
Ten thousand dollars was authorized to build a seacoast light on Sand
Island in 1834. Old photographs show a number of dwellings surrounding
the lighthouse. This original lighthouse was replaced by one that cost
thirty-five thousand dollars and was one hundred fifty feet in height.
This structure was blown up by Confederate forces to keep the Yankees
from spying. The present lighthouse was built in 1873. The keepers house
was a beautiful two-story southern colonial structure. In the 1906 hurricane
the keepers house was destroyed and the keepers drowned. Another tragedy
occurred in 1919, when it was noted that the light was extinguished two
nights. A landing party found a log stating that the keepers had gone
to Fort Morgan to pick up supplies. They never reached shore. The light
was extinguished in 1970. The old wooden keepers house was burned by vandals
in 1976. The Sand Island Lghthouse now belongs to the Department of Interior
and has been placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
Confederate forces had taken over Fort Gaines at the beginning of the
Civil War and held it for three years. During the battle of Mobile Bay,
three thousand forces were landed on the island, seven miles west of the
fort. Against such overwhelming odds the rebels surrendered the fort on
August 8, 1864. Admiral Farragut brought in eighteen ships, plus six small
gunboats to battle the Confederate fleet commanded by Admiral Buchanan.
The rebel fleet was comprised of the ironclad "Tennessee" and three smaller
gunboats. Fort Powell, located just northwest of the present bridge, was
evacuated and blown up by the Confederate forces. The Confederate Army
of the Gulf surrendered at Citronelle, Alabama on May 4, 1865.
An 1880 census shows: Collier, Sprinkle, Previto, Williams, Mallon, Bosarge,
Steiner, Peters, Raley. The oldest tombstone found in the Dauphin Island
Cemetery is dated 1841, belongs to John Sprinkle, who served in the war
of 1812. John Ladnier's wife, who died in 1861, is buried in the Catholic
Cemetery. Others buried prior to 1900 are Sprinkle, Ryan, Patronas, Crawford,
In the 1800's approximately three hundred people lived on the island.
There were numerous artesian wells. The community was self-sustaining.
Most of the men were fishermen and oyster catchers. They ran their catch
up river to Mobile in gaff-rigged sailboats. The livestock ran wild and
homesteads were squatters without legal deeds. Dauphin Island became a
polyglot of many nations. Records show that Dr. John Collier came from
Scotland. The Peters family originally had a Greek name. The Steiners
were from Germany. There were many ScotchIrish and a few decendents of
the original French settlers like the Ladnier family. A canal ran up what
is now LeMoyne Drive. At various times there was a terrapin farm and a
cannery. Old railroad tracks on the northwest side of the island indicate
some hauling process.
Earlier in 1885, we find quit claim deeds from Gillette, McNulty, Semmes,
Austill, and Mallon to the Dauphin Island Improvement Company. This was
to be the first major developer and in 1910 became incorporated as the
Dauphin Island Company. Many other deeds were established by this company.
Local people holding deed from the Dauphin Island Company are classified
as having "grandfather lots."
In 1900, the Gulf Land and Harbor Company was formed. This became Dauphin
Island Railway and Harbor Company. Both of these properties eventually
became Gulf Properties and this company was transferred to Forney Johnston,
Thomas, Boykin, Vredenburgh, Dewberry, Aparicola and Rester in 1953. In
turn, this group sold most of the property to the Mobile Chamber of Commerce.
Let us go back in time between the Civil War and the subdivision of Dauphin
Island in 1953. We know that a hotel was on the Island as early as 1915.
Many people from the mainland came here to vacation. A ferry ran over
to Cedar Point at one time. There was a general store and a school that
went up to the ninth grade. Most of the young men quit school early, but
the girls were often boarded on the mainland to finish their education.
Both the early post office and the school were located at the shell mound.
Fires were a particular concern. The school, which was a two story building,
burned one night, as did the general store, located across from the new
post office. Very few old buildings are still standing today. When a family
decided to build a new house, they used the heart pine from the old one.
Hurricanes always played a large role on the island. Both the 1906 and
the 1916 storms were severe. There are tales of people lashing themselves
to the large oaks and of the goats climbing up to stay out of the reach
of alligators. In 1916 the Methodist Church was destroyed. Of course,
at that time, the island had a great deal more protection, because Sand
Island was much larger. Each successive storm eroded more of the protective
World War I saw some activity at the Fort. A dance pavillion was built
and the local young people enjoyed many good times with the soldiers.
At one time in the 1920's, a marine coaling station was proposed. The
island was touted as "The Atlantic City of the South." Bath houses were
constructed on the south side of the island. A large boardwalk to, extend
several miles was proposed. Any visitor to the island was impressed by
the height of the sand dunes. In the book "Stars Fell on Alabama" written
in 1937, the dunes were described as being sixty feet high. Man And nature
has taken a toll on these dunes. Finally the state was prevailed upon
to pass a law restricting vehicle use and as a result the dunes began
With World War II came a reactivation of the Military Base. A radar base
was established to protect the gulf coast area from attack. Housing was
built for the families of the military. This was a very busy time for
Dauphin Island. In 1945 the school had over forty children enrolled. After
the Radar Base closed in 1971, the enrollment dropped to nineteen, with
only one teacher. A portion of the military was turned over to the State
of Alabama for use as a Marine Science Consortium and part went to the
Coast Guard for use as a recreation base.
In order to pay for the bridge construction, the Mobile Chamber of Commerce,
on November 25,1953, put fifteen hundred lots up for sale. This was a
lottery type sale and the majority of the purchasers had never seen the
island. The golf course was originally planned in what is now the Audubon
Bird Sanctuary, but this plan had to be scrapped. They did dredge out
the lakes in the sactuary and pulled it up on sleds to the present location.
An elaborate clubhouse and casino was planned with membership open to
all land purchasers.
Areas such as Pass Drury and Silver Cay were added later by dredging and
finger filling the swamp land. There was a great deal of animosity between
the developers and the native people. Only a few held positive deeds.
Among these were the Steiner and Sprinkle Subdivisions. The Steiner property
had been sub-divided and recorded in 1910. Only one old grandfather property
remains south of Bienville Boulevard today. All others are north. This
small property on the north side belongs to the Previtos. (One very old
map shows Previto squatter on the Fort Gaines Military Reservation). John
Sprinkle had taken the Mobile and Dauphin Island Railroad Company to court
in 1896 to reclaim his property. Most of the local people were deeded
fifty foot lots in exchange for quit claim deeds.
The bridge to the island was officially opened in July 1955. It was touted
as the Three Million Dollar Bridge, but was named after Gordon Persons,
a governor. By 1956, the Isle Dauphine and the Beach Casino were completed.
The first nine holes of the golf course were completed in 1962. The Riviera
Motel, which was later purchased by Holiday Inn, was opened in 1958. The
island attracted many sightseers.
Dauphin Island did not become the mecca that the Chamber of Commerce had
envisioned. By 1967, the Casino had been destroyed by vandals. The Isle
Dauphine had been leased as a private country club and all the original
members had to pay monthly dues in order to remain a member.
In the years between the bridge opening and hurricane Camille in 1968,
the island seemed to hit its peak. The Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo
stirred up large crowds every July and the Dauphin Island Sailboat races
drew spectators in April. Bird watching was always a steady attraction.
Once the Audubon Bird Sanctuary was closed to vehicular traffic it was
greatly improved. Dauphin Island became known for the huge number of migratory
birds that made this a stop-over.
With the prediction of Hurricane Frederic on September 12-13, 1979, all
but a small number of foolhardy people made their exodus from the island.
They never realized how difficult it would be to return. Those who stayed
in Mobile did not escape the brunt of the storm. The bridge that spanned
the three mile stretch to the mainland was destroyed in the early hours
on September 13. People lined the banks of the canals north of the island,
begging rides in the small boats that were able to navigate the debris
ridden waters. Arriving on the island, one found a scene of total chaos.
Most were humbed by the monumental task ahead. There was no direct communication
to the mainland. A few radio operators managed to get some messages delivered.
No water! No electricity! Civil Defense went into action. The National
Guard was called in. The whole of Mobile County was in a state of emergency.
Water was brought over in boats. Ice brought over in the holds of shrimp
boats was only useable to cool food. A central garbage disposal was set
up. The Red Cross brought in supplies for those in need. For several weeks
we had no electricity. The Coast Guard brought a LCU craft that took us
on a five hour trip to Brookley Meld. Later we had a people ferry that
took us to Bayou La Batre. We borrowed cars. The inhabitants rallyed and
supported each other. Almost three years of traveling by ferry to Fowl
River ended when the new bridge was opened in July, 1982. At last people
were able to rebuild their homes.
With a beautiful new high rise bridge, Dauphin Island was on the rise.
In addition to the Dauphin Surf Club and the Colony Cove Yacht Club, two
other condominiums were built. Things were looking good on the island
and then hurricane "Elena" struck on September 2, 1985. We were actually
evacuated twice, as the first blow hit us mildly then reversed itself
and struck us with its full fury. The time of recovery was much shorter
this time because the bridge was intact and utilities were restored within
For many years, the subject of incorporation had been brought up, but
vociferously rejected by the local inhabitants. Finally in November 1988,
the majority of the registered voters voted for incorporation. An interim
board for councilmen and mayor were voted on. Five months later these
same people were unopposed and took term for a permanent period. At this
time the mayor is Doris Anderson, the town council is Billy Patronas,
James Boone, Claude Brown, Jeff Collier and Georgia Mallon. We officially
became a town on January 15, 1988 and the first election took place on
April 12, 1988 with the run-off election on April 26, 1988. The town has
open meetings on the first and third Tuesday each month. At the present
time, the town hall is located in the Businessmen's Building. Various
sub-committees have been appointed. A Planning Board to consider zoning
and other matters has been selected. John Tyson was appointed Town Attorney,
Charles McKnight was selected as Municipal Judge, Walt Yerkes is Town
Clerk and Leroy Coulter is Building Inspector. Terry Beasely has been
appointed Police Chief. The Mayor, Doris Anderson, expects to assume all
responsibilities for running the town as quickly as possible. The council
is working actively with all levels of Federal officials for possible
grants. Businesses are now licensed under the town and efforts are being
made to improve the appearance of the town.
The Water and Sewer Authority has recently put in a shallow well water
system and eventually the quality of water-should-improve. Dauphin Island
property owners have taken over management of the Isle Dauphine and the
Golf Course is open to the public.
Dauphin Island Property Owners have taken over management of the Isle
Dauphine and the Golf Course is open to the public.
The entire population is supportive of all the endeavors.
So dawns a new era in the history of Dauphin Island.
FACTS OF INTEREST
Dauphin Island has approximately 3,545 acres. The island
is 14.86 miles in length and 1 and 3/4 wide.
There are 3200 lots on the island, with 1280 living
units connected to water and sewer. Approximately 1000 single family
Grade School - kindergarten through sixth. This school
is accredited and one of the best elementary schools in Mobile County.
High school students are bused to Bayou La Batre.
An extremely fine Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad.
Dauphin Island Sea Lab, a marine consortium, is located
on the east end. They offer programs from kindergarten through college
level, giving a masters and doctorate in Marine Sciences. An estimated
14,000 students will study here in 1989.
The island has the only Audubon Bird Sanctuary in the
State of Alabama. This is a walking sanctuary with sixty acres of lakes,
timber and shore. We are on the migratory flyway and each spring and
fall countless birds pass through Dauphin Island. Recently the island
in its entirety has been declared a Bird Sanctuary. Birding is one of
our most popular attractions.
The Isle Dauphine Golf Club is owned and operated by
the Dauphin Island Property Owners Association. It has an 18 hole public
golf course, tennis, pool, food service and a excellent restaurant with
a beautiful view of the Gulf.
MORE ABOUT DAUPHIN ISLAND
Ft. Gaines is open for public tours. At times renactments
Cadillac Square is a public park with picnic facilities.
Free boat launching ramps on the east end.
Recreational Vehicle Campground.
Ferry service to Ft. Morgan across Mobile Bay.
Lighted fishing pier and public beach.
3000 foot lighted airstrip.
United States Coast Guard Unit.
United States Customs Station.
Pilot Boat Station.
Alabama Department of Conservation Office.
Federal Food and Drug Administration Office.
The island has four churches: Baptist, Catholic, Episcopal,
Methodist, all holding weekly services.
Bingo every Thursday night at 7:00 p.m.
Charter boats available.
Dauphin Island Businessmen's Association to promote
and improve Dauphin Island.
Alabama Deep'Sea Fishing Rodeo usually held in July.
Dauphin Island Sailboat Race usually held in April.
Annual Migration Celebration held in the Spring with
parades and other festivities.
Two very fine seafood restaurants, two bars, two drivein
food places, a beauty shop, several grocery stores, five real estate
agencies, two gift shops and a dress boutique, an auto repair shop,
a seafood shop, an oyster shop and many other facilities located on
Four condominium developments, several motel apartment
units, individual home rental units are available.
Indian Mound Park, a ceremonial ground pre-dating white
man, never explored by archeologists.
Two cemeteries, with tombstones dating back to the
early 80's. Many earlier unmarked graves. On the east end of the island
there is one marked grave and supposedly several other unmarked ones.
WE'RE MAKING HISTORY - UPDATE 2001
In 1999 Dauphin Island celebrated its Tricentennial. The Centennial Commission
(Marti Harding, Chairman) arranged for many cultural events. The Brick
Path was established in Calument Park. The year 2000 brought many improvements
in the way of street repairs and as much needed drainage program on the
west end of the island. A gulf front beach berm was pumped to help prevent
further erosion. New police cars were purchased and police moved into
a more permanent building. The town worked on a comperhensive plan for
control in the future of the island.
Working with the Foundation the Bike Path was extended to Ft. Gaines in
the east and to the school in the west.
The year 200 finds us with Jeff Collier, Mayor, and five council members,
Westfall, Brientenfeld, Tafra, Thompson, DiPlacido. The Planning Commission
meets monthly to oversee and planned developments on the island. the permanent
population continues to grow with approximately 1200 registered voters.
Past mayors starting in 1988 were Doris Anderson, Mel Lucas and Billy
The Dauphin Island Property Owners Association (DIPOA) represents over
three thousand owners. Its primary purpose is to protect and promote the
development and betterment of Dauphin Island. Presently, Pastsy cope serves
as chairman with board members, Campbell, Dixon, Caldwell, Matranga, Henlein,
Lyons, Kelleher, Giel. In 2000, a ten year lease to Brian Maisel was signed
for all restuarant facilities at the Isle Dauphine Club. This has resulted
in attractive renovations and first class dining. The DIPOA filed lawsuit
against the US Corps of Engineers alleging that dredging of the Mobile
Ship Channel is responsible for erosion to the island. The Architectural
Committee continues to monitor all building plans. The unique "links"
Isle Dauphine Golf Course is open to the public. Jeff Collier, PGA Pro,
sees great activity in the winter months and remains open 7 days a week.
The Dauphin Island Park and Beach Board, an authority in charge of the
public parks and beaches on the island, continues to improve to improve
their facilities. The Board is selected by the county and appointed by
the Governor. The 2001 Board is Edwards, Chairman, and members Waldron
and Sellers with Executive Director, Mike Henderson. Ft. Gaines is a prominent
tourist attraction with frequent enactments. The Campground has been expanded
and several smaller parks as well as Cadillac Square are maintained for
The Dauphin Island Foundation was created to preserve and pomote the environmental
integrity of the island. The board is comprised of the Mayor of Dauphin
Island, DIPOA President, Dauphin Island Chamber of Commerce President,
the chairman of the DI Water and Sewer, the chairman of the DI Park and
Beach Board, and 16 at large Directors. The Foundation obtained matching
funding for the west-end sand berm. Additionally, it secured matching
grants to complete the Bike Trail part of the way out to the west end.
They sponsor a Dauphin Island Art Guild Prize, act as fiscal agent for
Friends of DI Audubon Sanctuary, and work with all entities on the Island.
The Dauphin Island Water and Sewer Authority was created by the legislature
in 1972, and is managed by Jeff Caldwell under the supervision of a five
man board. They have completed plans for a booster pump and ground storage
tank for the west end. They also have plans to upgrade the old facility
near the bridge and install a one million gallon tank at the Tower property.
Island wide water and sewer is most cricial to the health and welfare
of the island's inhabitants.
There are many organizations on Dauphin Island, but none more important
that the Fire and Rescue.
This is a dedicated group of volunteers who are on call around the clock.
Highly trained, both in fire prevention and emergency medical techniques,
they are not only efficient but compassionate. The receive a monthly fee,
collected by the Water Department for equipment.
Birding remains one of our finest attractions. In connection with the
Park and Beach Boards, the Friends of the Dauphin Island audubon Sanctuary
have upgraded the facility, installing boardwalks and new trails. With
grant help FODIAS has acquired several new lots and is presently working
to obtain lots in the Tupelo Gum Swamp. The DI Foundation takes contributions
for this project to preserve the island.
A champion for the island, the Dauphin Island Chamber of Commerce reaches
out to inform visitors of the attractions. They sponsor many civic events
including town meetings, Charistmas Programs and Flu Shots. They also
work and serve the Dauphin Island Race and Deep Sea Rodeo.
Dauphin Island Sea Lab and Estuarium showcases the river delta, barrier
island and the Gulf of Mexico. It is a "hans on" educational facility
with a salt-marsh boardwalk. It is open to the public and is used as a
OTHER ORGANIZATIONS AND FACTS ABOUT THE ISLAND
1) Four churches - Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist, Roman Catholic.
2) Dauphin Island Womens Club - membership open to all women.
3) Dauphin Island Art Guild - Art Show annually.
4) Choral Society - Christmas presentation.
5) Veterans Association - Open to all veterans.
6) Krewe DeLa Dauphine - Mardi Gras Society - annual parade.
7) Dauphine Mystics - Mardi Gras Society - annual parade.
8) Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo - usually held the 3rd week in July.
9) Dauphin Island Race - April
10) Free Boat launching.
11) 3000 ft. lighted airstrip.
12) Little Red School - Top rated K through 6.