Dauphin Island, AL
Archive of Historical Data, Books, Maps
And Other Materials
|At the upper right is shown the giant
lens that reflect 4000 watts of light over the Gulf of Mexico, guiding ships safely
into the Port of Mobile. Thomas Agos, one of the five painters redecorating the structure,
is pictured at the top of the long staircase, examining the lens.
Mobile Press-Register, story by ED LEE, Staff Reporter,
photo Press-Register, published September 20, 1953. Recovered and saved by Johnny
Newman, Montgomery, AL, member, AL Light House Assoc. Board of Directors
Archives Editor's note: Top left, one can see a small section
of a circular plate which contained prisims deflecting light to one level
lower, the "watch room". Before generators and electric power, whale oil
was used as fuel for the wick. The prisims provided a way for the keeper,
on duty in the watch room, to observe the light level, as related to fuel supply.