Archives Contents
Quick Find:
Return To Home Page
Table of Contents

Birding on Dauphin Island

Historic Fort Gaines

POA - Property
Owners' Association


Sand Island Light

Shell Mounds

Town of Dauphin Island-Municipal Government








Dauphin Island, AL
Archive of Historical Data, Books, Maps
And Other Materials

Sand Island Light House

Taken from News Pages, Sunday, Aug. 8, 1965

Sand Island Lighthouse
"Mobile Bay Sentinel Since 1871"
Story and Photos
By VIVIAN CANNON, Press-Register Reporter

Lt. Kenneth Rider, of the USCG's Mobile Station, takes a look at the lens atop Sand Island Light House, built 1872/73.

Mobile Press-Register photo & copy by Vivian Cannon, published August 08, 1965.


>
Breathing Stops on the stairs - BM1 James Burnette with the U.S. Coast Guard's Mobile Station takes a rest stop on one fo the metal platforms diviging the metal staris which circle to the top of the some 130 foot tower.

Mobile Press-Register photo & copy by Vivian Cannon, published August 08, 1965.

Plumber's Bob hanging inside Light House

An old winch left inside the Light House - no longer used.

 

Fort Gaines Sand Island Light House Shell Mounds on Dauphin Island Dauphin Island History Dauphin Island Sea Lab Estuarium

Page designed by:
Gulf Information Pages, Dauphin Island, AL